Wednesday, August 29, 2012

WOYWW #168

Whew! What a week it's been already! It's already Wednesday?!? Crazy! 

In case you hadn't guessed, I started my Sophomore year of college this week. I'm already enjoying my classes - lots of delicious design courses! Web page design (this blog might look a whole lot better after that class!), digital publishing, computer illustration, and art history make up my class roster this semester. That means I'll be bringing you a lot more design-y things, which is appropriate considering this is the Designed to Create blog.

Since this is a What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday post (which is brought to you by the Stamping Ground blog) and not a "How's Your Life Right Now?" post, I'll get to the pictures. I was in class most of the day today using a computer lab desk, so here's what that looks like:


I've got my trusty red Space Pen (always in my pocket, unless I'm using it, of course), my new Lego pencil (a first day of school gift - thank you mom!), my notes, a keyboard that is missing the zero on the keypad (you can still push the little squishy thing, though - I checked!), and a mouse. The notes are probably the most interesting thing. We were asked to bring in an example of a bad logo, which you can see on the left (the NYC Taxi logo), along with my notes for the lecture on the Elements and Principles of Design. In an effort to begin redesigning the Taxi logo, I created a word list (on the middle paper) and drew some thumbnail sketches beside it.

I think it looks neat heat mapped:

Especially how it picks up the show-through of the NYC Taxi logo on the middle paper. Sometimes I wish my eyes could actually see things this way! 

Well, that's it! Not incredibly interesting, but it's an honest look at what my work has been lately. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. I think that's EXTREMELY interesting! Can I trade you a Medical Micro class for a design class??? Glad you're having fun in your classes and I look forward to what develops on this blog because of what you're learning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd totally be labeling all those SEM photos - this one has radial balance, this one is approximate symmetry, etc. And analyzing the coloring. They add colors after taking the photo with the SEM, right?

      :-)

      Hope your classes go well!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like fun! I have a BFA with a major in Advertising Art, and had a blast with every course I took too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete